GoldBug

GoldBug

Monday, September 27, 2010

Fast Food Nation

Before I officially start this post, I would like it to be known that this lecture actually made me really hungry for a burger. Not even just one burger, but two. Gurgling stomach and everything, I was just about ready to go to Wendy's and curb my craving, but I went back to my dorm and ate nearly a pint of ice cream instead. Be proud.

At any rate, Eric Schlosser's lecture; well, he actually did a good job of telling me why what he said really was not ground breaking to my ears. Because he published this book way back in 2000! And then everyone was raving about the video Food, Inc. It was pretty hard to escape the gist of what the video and book covered, so this lecture was more like hearing the same old song and dance.

And as a result, I will continue to eat meat. It didn't even really change my view of the fast food industry because, for one, I worked in it (Dairy Queen food sucks too, even if it wasn't in his list!) and two, I hated McDonalds even all through my childhood years. The most money McDonalds has gotten from me are its smoothies, which are pretty good. And I have bought a grand total of two of those. They are making a killing off of me!

I suppose educating the general public about the health concerns that can arise particularly in young kids is a good way to start, but a lot of it still falls back on the family's habits. My family continues the tradition of making balanced home-cooked meals because while fast food is inexpensive, it can still drain your wallet pretty fast, and, also, it's much healthier for you. Mom and dads who work all day usually never have the energy to actually worry about making a better meal and the effort to stop this obesity should be at the center of supplying cheap and healthy fast food. (And when I mean "fast food" there, I don't mean at a fast food restaurant. I mean something quick that you can buy at the store)

Or you could simply make everyone work in the fast food industry for at least a month, and if that doesn't effect their eating habits, then nothing will.

And how about the animal cruelty? I really do not know much about it and I am certainly not going to take one guy at face value to believe that all of it is true. Considering how massive slaughter houses are, it's certainly difficult to argue that there wouldn't be violations, but I can also at least say that it would undoubtedly not be FDA approved.

Does that make it any better? Sadly, probably not, but those meat industries aside, pretty much everyone agrees that all animals should be treated humanely. Yet, considering how expansive these industries are, it would be difficult to boycott them unless you go completely vegetarian and, sorry folks, but I like my meat.

The rest of the lecture, particularly covering the fastfood industries boundless greed, can all be explained away by the capitalist system. I'm sure some people could draw up some lengthy arguments against such a system, but I once heard a friend of mine say something that I shall paraphrase; "I do not think this regulated capitalism is perfect, but I support it because it's the best system we have to provide the greatest quality of life and comfort to the most people, due to its endless pursuit of innovation."

2 comments:

  1. Your comments here are very insightful, Kristen. I too have worked in the fast food industry, albeit an ostensibly healthier one (SUbway) and have seen the disgusting foodstuffs that get paraded around as marginally healthy. Fast food is clearly pretty gross. Your mentioning of healthy alternatives such as good family cooking are excellent. My mom is vegetarian and constantly reiterating the value of a healthy, vege-heavy diet, but she still cooks meat for my omnivore father. I too, like my meat. Your discourse on Capitalism, finally, has its merits, yet I think you might be overlooked the fact that the boundless greed of fast food companies wouldn't have a foothold if we as Americans were not susceptible to their tactics of cheap+easy=good and happy eaters! We are as much to blame as the purported tyrannical giants intent on force-feeding us their poisonous wares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I agree with your comment, Ktasker, I like to think that Kristen's two comments are the way to make the flaws that you see in her discourse on Capitalism work. It is only with cheap and easy food that Americans will support but as noted by Kristen, a change to cheap and healthy And easy food is necessary. I thought this lecture to be very head-turning for me, because I have never worked in the fastfood industry. To hear both of you mention other fastfood places (even Subway which is considered 'healthy), and to mention how gross their food is as well is something I will not forget. So, thank you for the insight.

    ReplyDelete